What is the most prevalent Eating Disorder in the country?
- Binge Eating Disorder (BED) is the most common of all eating disorders, affecting three times the number of those diagnosed with anorexia and bulimia combined.
- BED affects 30-40% of those seeking weight loss treatment.
- BED impacts people of all races, education levels, ages, and income.
- BED is more common than breast cancer, HIV, and schizophrenia.
What is Binge Eating Disorder (BED)?
Also called compulsive overeating or emotional eating, BED includes recurring episodes of eating more than what would be considered normal while feeling out of control, and resulting feelings of guilt, shame, and distress.
Although those with BED are often at a higher weight, anyone at any weight can have the disorder.
Like anorexia and bulimia, BED is considered an eating disorder needing individualized therapy with an experienced team for recovery.
What BED is NOT:
- BED is not a choice.
- BED is not lack of willpower.
- BED does not indicate failure.
- BED is not overeating at a holiday meal or special occasion.
Can you recover from Binge Eating Disorder (BED)?
Yes! Those who seek treatment can recover and develop a positive relationship with food and their body.
Treatment includes individualized sessions with a therapist and dietitian. Group therapy has also been found to be beneficial for many.
Statistics and other information referenced above were obtained from the following source: http://bedaonline.com/understanding-bed/what-is-binge-eating-disorder/#.UuvQVDjnbmI